If you’re looking to start a blog, then you’ve come to the right place.
I started building this website from scratch a couple of weeks ago and I’ll do my best to share with you everything I’ve learned so far.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Domain – This is the name or URL of your website. For example, this website’s URL is aldwinzalameda.com.
- Web Host – This is where your website files are stored so that people can access your website on the internet.
- WordPress – This is an open-source software you can use to create a website or a blog.
Domain + Hosting
There are two ways to register a domain – through a domain registrar or through a web hosting provider.
You can even get a free domain (for a year) with some hosting providers (like Bluehost) when you sign up for a hosting account with them.
But here’s what I recommend:
- Domain – Namecheap
- Web Host – SiteGround
And here’s why.
- It’s cheaper – Registering a domain through a hosting provider normally costs around $15 per year. If you register a domain with Namecheap, it would only cost you around $10 per year.
- Flexibility – Registering your domain separately gives you the flexibility to switch hosting providers (to avoid getting stuck) in case something goes wrong with your current one.
- Excellent customer support – Both Namecheap and SiteGround provide excellent customer support. Whenever I need technical assistance, they’re quick to respond and resolve my issues.
Once you’ve registered a domain and signed up for a web host, then you can now start installing WordPress.
Here are some tutorials I’ve already created (or yet to be created) to help you get started.
Start a Blog
- How to Register a Domain with Namecheap
- How to Sign Up for Web Hosting with SiteGround
- How to Set Up an External Domain with SiteGround
- How to Install WordPress with SiteGround
Customize Your Website
- How to Install a Theme in WordPress
- How to Change Site Title and Tagline in WordPress
- How to Change Link Color on a Genesis Theme
- How to Customize Sidebar on a Genesis Theme
- How to Change Author Display Name in WordPress
- How to Edit Site Footer Text on a Genesis Theme
- How to Update Timezone in WordPress
- How to Change Permalink Structure in WordPress
- How to Create Navigation Menus in WordPress
- How to Enable Breadcrumbs on a Genesis Theme
Build Your Website
I’ll continue to update this page as I learn and apply new things.
Thanks for being here!