To start a blog, you need both a domain and web hosting.
- Domain – This is the name of your website. For example, this website’s domain is aldwinzalameda.com.
- Web Hosting – This is where your website files are stored so people can access your website on the internet.
I registered my domain with Namecheap and hosted this website from SiteGround.
If you don’t have a domain yet, then I suggest you read this tutorial first to register a domain name with Namecheap.
Then, come back to this post later to learn how to sign up for a web hosting plan with SiteGround.
Here are the steps:
- Choose a plan
- Enter your domain
- Review and complete your order
Choose a plan
Go to siteground.com. Then, click Get Started under Web Hosting.
Next, choose a plan from these three options – StartUp, GrowBig, and GoGeek.
- StartUp – Good for one website. Regular price of $11.95 per month.
- GrowBig – Host multiple websites. Includes Premium Features. Regular price of $19.95 per month.
- GoGeek – More web space. Includes Geeky Features. Retails at $34.95 per month.
If you’re just getting started, just go with the StartUp plan. But if you have the budget and intend to host multiple websites, then go for a GrowBig plan instead.
To be clear, I personally signed up for a StartUp plan with a special initial price of $3.95 per month for 36 months.
If I had the budget, I would have signed up for GrowBig plan instead. For an extra $2 per month, I could have enjoyed the premium benefits including the three levels of SuperCacher.
Check out the complete shared hosting features here.
Enter your domain
Next, enter your domain. If you don’t have one, you can register a new domain here.
Take note, it will costs an additional $15.95 per year. So, if you want to get a cheaper domain, best to go with Namecheap.
If you already have one, select I already have a Domain and enter your domain on the box.
Then, click Proceed to continue.
Review and complete your order
Once your domain has been accepted, you will then be prompted to create an account with SiteGround.
The information you provide here will be used to access and manage your hosting account.
- Account Information – Provide a valid email and a strong password for secure access.
- Client Information – Enter your personal details.
Next, scroll down a bit to enter your payment information.
You can pay using a debit or credit card. But if you want to pay using PayPal, simply contact their sales team via live chat to further assist you.
Then, scroll down a bit more to review your order details.
- Plan – Select a plan (StartUp, GrowBig, or GoGeek).
- Data Center – Choose the closest data center to your location (Singapore, United Kingdom, USA, and Europe).
- Period – Choose from 12, 24, 36 months.
If you changed your mind about the hosting plan you’ve selected earlier, you can still change it from here.
Just click on the icon next to the plan and choose from the three options again – StartUp, GrowBig, or GoGeek.
Then, make sure to select the closest data center to your location and choose the term period that suits you.
Take note, the special initial price applies for the first invoice only. Once your initial term is over, regular renewal prices apply.
After your order has been processed, you will then receive an email from SiteGround with a copy of your invoice.
Congratulations! To view and manage your account, log in to SiteGround and head over to the My Accounts tab.
That’s it! If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments below.
Thanks for reading!